A flourishing UK supply base is fundamental to the future success of the wider automotive industry. The UK is home to over 30 companies manufacturing cars, vans, trucks, buses and engines, with a collective desire to increase local sourcing.
- Of all UK suppliers, over 70% manufacture their products in the UK.
- At present, about 80% of all component types required for vehicle assembly operations can be procured from UK suppliers.
- The UK automotive supply chain typically generates £4.5-£5bn of added value annually.
- There are around 2,350 UK companies that regard themselves as ‘automotive’ suppliers, employing around 82,000 people (data as of the end of 2009).
- It is estimated that every job in UK vehicle assembly supports 7.5 elsewhere in the economy.
- The global transition to low and ultra-low carbon technologies and fuels provides the UK supply chain with new opportunities.
Source: SMMT Motor Industry Facts 2012